Saturday, August 10, 2013

Going North of the Border






I created this blog to chronicle my new adventure into a foreign country. I may be leaving the United States for Canada, but despite its proximity it's still a new country and will be a new experience. My wife is from Calgary, and earlier this year we decided to move to Calgary if I could get a job. I soon found out that I would not be able to get a teaching job unless I have permanent residency, and in order to get permanent residency we would need to prove our intent to live in Canada. Since my wife has a green card in the States the only way we could prove that intent is to actually move there. So I quit my job and put the house up for sale. With no real job prospects other than Alberta's famed labour shortage we were going to move in with my wife's parents and try our hand at getting a work permit through something called a labour market opinion. An LMO can be obtained by a company for a foreign worker if hiring that worker will not cost a Canadian a job. The odds of finding work are pretty good, and I'll be posting my progress as I go.  Here we come, Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment